Thursday, May 26, 2016

Ambivalence Defined

I love the Chesterfield style of furniture and it has long been my dream to add a Chesterfield chair to my home decor. After searching through thousands of chairs on dozens of sites, I found a purple velvet one on Wayfair.com. I was so excited to get this chair that I scheduled to work from home so I could be there when it arrived. FEDEX refused to bring it to my apartment, but after about 20 phone calls, I was finally able to get FEDEX to bring it to my door. I pulled in the 70-pound box and tore it off and screwed on the legs and placed it perfectly on my area rug. Then I made the mistake of sitting on it. I was ready to sink luxuriantly into plush velvety perfection, but instead I landed with a hard plop that was as surprising as it was  painful. Sitting in this chair is like being enthroned on an ironing board. The seat cushion is like a 2 x 4 and the chair back is just as uncomfortable. Even my dogs won't sit in it. My beautiful purple Chesterfield dream has devolved into a nightmare only the Marquis de Sade could appreciate. Guess I've got a new bookshelf now.

No comments: