Monday, June 9, 2008

WALKING TO WORK...



Today I thought I'd walk to work. What the hell, it's only 1.5 miles from my apt. and there's lots to look at on the way. There's the PetSmart, the Mosaic and Soliel bistro restaurants, there's a building where cop cars are always parked but it's not a government building, there's the homeless dude picking through the overflowing dumpster, there's the lovely, drooling, crazy-eyed rotweiller that seems to keep this one particular street under constant surveillance...perhaps for one of those strange cop cars that are always parked in front of what appears to be an abandoned building, there are the illegal hispanic leaf blowers who refuse to move out of the street when you drive toward them, the baggy-panted, hooded gentlemen who swagger down the street looking this way and that like owls on Red Bull, the charming dilapidation of foreclosed businesses, bars and houses that are being overrun with rats, feral cats and other assorted vermin. All this teeming bustle of urban life that I could commune with daily and yet...no. It's mid June in Atlanta, people. It's just too frickin' HOT! Leave me to my silver Impala of the arctic air conditioning. I like to arrive at work with my make-up still intact and not completely melted like a wax candle lit by a blowtorch.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I would stay indoors for the whole summer if I could. There is nothing worse than leaving the house, freshly showered and made up, only to end up a soggy dripping mess by the time you arrive at work. I hate that you have to throw clothes in the wash after only one wear in summer. And thin summer clothes require so much ironing!

Unknown said...

I wish it was spring all year long or maybe fall, but no summer.
I've been walking and taking the bus in Oklahoma for the past ten years and I wrote a poem about the bus I'd like to share with you.

The Bus

Sometimes I get fed up.
Just tired of being tired.
Sick of riding the bumping bus-
the stinky bus-the take forever
to get anywhere bus.
I got to ride everywhere with
a bunch of strangers who have
attitudes because they don't
wanna be riding the bus either.
The hot bus--the leaky bus.
Tired of sitting or standing in
the heat or the cold waiting on the bus.
Yet I'm glad there is a bus
'cause I shol' couldn't afford
to take a cab everywhere I need to go.
Sometimes I get fed up.

copyright 2006 by Justice Jones